Follow the directions on the website and sign up as a student (it is free!). Lots of things on there—but the courses are on leadership and patient care improvements. This is an individual assignment. You must complete the required modules online. These modules take time, please plan accordingly. Ironically you will need to plan this week's objective and Manage Your Time!!!
Here is the website: IHI Homepage (Links to an external site.)
Click on "Take a Course", then you will need to "Create an Account." When you register as a new user, you will enter your personal information and when it asks you what your organization is, make sure you select "UCF Nursing School - City not selected, FL" (these exact words)
Once you submit all the Contact Information section, it will then take you to a Demographic Information page and you will enter your primary role which is 'student' and your organization is a 'school' and then your education type is 'other learner.' ***If you do not use this specific organization and select student you will have to enter a passcode. The University is a member of the IHI Open School so that is how we can take these courses for free. You may skip the Student Information and Communication Preferences portion. Select Finish!
Once registered click on the EDUCATION tab above and then 'Virtual Training.' and click on the “+” next to the category entitled “Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety” and start the modules. Complete the required 13 modules (listed below) and be sure to do the surveys after each module and then you will receive a Open School Basic Certificate. The completion certificate needs to be uploaded to webcourses assignment for credit. Note: please anticipate a 24-48 hour delay from completion of the modules to receiving access to the certificate within your learning system. No partial credit will be awarded. Submit ONLY the final “Open School Basic Certificate” to the webcourse assignment.
Required Modules to Be Completed
- Improvement Capability
- QI 101: Introduction to Health Care improvement
- QI 102: How to Improve with the Model for Improvement
- QI 103: Testing and Measuring Changes with PDSA Cycles
- QI 104: Interpreting Data: Run Charts, Control Charts, and other Measurement Tools
- QI 105: Leading Quality Improvement
- Patient Safety
- PS 101: Introduction to Patient Safety
- PS 102: From Error to Harm
- PS 103: Human Factors and Safety
- PS 104: Teamwork and Communication in a Culture of Safety
- PS 105: Responding to Adverse Events
- L 101: Introduction to Health Care Leadership
- Person and Family-Centered Care
- PFC 101: Introduction to Patient-Centered Care
- Triple Aim for Populations
- TA 101: Introduction to the Triple Aim for Populations